Communication, Relationship-Building, and Conflict and Resolution
“Don does an excellent job connecting with technology professionals and bringing home the importance of communication, relationship building and conflict resolution. These often overlooked skills can really help your IT shop connect with your business partners and customers. Don has the technical credibility, perspective, and delivery skills to make it stick. Highly recommended!”
–Marty Williams, Vice President of Technology at NIC Inc.
Success in any career, especially in an IT career, involves effective communication, relationship-building, and conflict resolution. Without effective communication, mistakes are made, deadlines are missed, and tempers flare. By building solid relationships, workgroup members are better able to work together as a cohesive team. By learning successful conflict resolution skills, team members head off skirmishes that get in the way of innovation, creative thinking, and project completion.
Based on the book
As part of the training, you can purchase copies at a discount.
In this fast-paced one-day professional-level seminar, filled with interactive exercises, your team members will learn:
- Why communication is so critically important
- The two communication models required for success
- How culture affects listening behavior
- The problem with noise
- How to use active listening techniques to enhance customer service
- The importance of awareness
- How to build relationships remotely
- Communicating successfully with external customers, internal customers, and colleagues
- The danger of hiding behind tickets
- How to use non-verbal communication
- Top 10 techniques for building and nurturing relationships
- How people handle conflict
- Options for dealing with Conflict
- How to manage conflict
- The importance of accountability and taking ownership
- Empathy as a conflict resolution tool
- Top 10 conflict resolution techniques
Effective interpersonal communication enhances collaboration and creativity and heads off mistakes, missed deadlines, and unnecessary conflict. In this module, your team members will learn powerful techniques to enhance communication to ensure projects are completed on time with minimal mistakes.
- Physical need to communicate
- Relational need to communicate
- Meeting identity needs
- Meeting practical needs
- Defining customers
- Linear Model
- Five Levels of Listening
- Three Types of Listening
- Misconceptions About Listening
- Common Barriers to Good Listening
- How Culture Affects Listening Behavior
- How to Become a Better Listener
- Active Listening
- The Transactional Model (Face-to-Face)
Good relationships are key to success in the modern workplace. As technology continues its advance into the workplace, effective human relationships make the difference between a successful organization and one that struggles. In this model, your team members will learn why relationships are important and powerful tools for building successful business relationships at work. They’ll learn how to build workplace relationships that get things done well and on time.
- Benefits of a Good Work Relationship
- Being Aware of Other People
- Building Relationships Remotely
- Communicating with External Customers
- Communicating with Internal Customers and Colleagues
- The Danger of Hiding Behind Tickets
- Understanding How to Use Non-Verbal Communication
- How to Build Good Work Relationships
- Top 10 Techniques for Building and Nurturing Relationships
Conflict and Resolution
Conflict is a fact of life, especially in the workplace. The key is knowing how to successfully manage it. Without proper conflict management, productivity grinds to a halt, tempers flare, and projects fail. When team members know how to manage conflict successfully, they can use conflict to craft creative solutions to workplace problems, introduce innovative new ideas into the workplace, and build long-lasting productive relationships. In this module, your team members will learn to identify their personal conflict management style, how to use other conflict management styles when necessary, and 10 powerful conflict management tools they can put to use right away.
What is Conflict
How do People Handle Conflicts?
Options for Dealing with Conflict
Who are You?
The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
- Examples of Accountability
- Taking Ownership
Thinking About the Sounds We Make
- Don’t Put it Off
- Be a Good Listener
- Be Impartial
- Think Long Term
- Respect is the Key
Understanding the Real Issues
Empathy as a Conflict Resolution Tool
Top 10 Conflict Resolution Techniques
Schedule this Powerful Training for Your Team
Bring Don onsite to your location!